Thrissur is known the best for its grand temple festivals that they offer along with the poorams which are celebrated with great devotion. The prime attraction of Thrissur is this location which is constructed for Lord Shiva. Situated right in the middle of the city, this divine structure gives a positive energy and has got a beautiful architecture. Constructed in the Kerala style, this temple consists of Shiva Lingam which appeared under the Banyan Tree because of the will of Lord Shiva. Later, the Lingam got transferred in the temple. Lord Parasurama is believed to be the reason for Lord Shiva’s presence in this region. With so many paintings and architecture on the wall, Vadakkunnathan Temple gives pure divinity.
Tips for the travelers
- Make sure to keep yourself well hydrated because of the humid climate that the place offers.
- There’s a strict dress code, especially for the men to follow and they have to enter the temple shirtless with a dhoti.
- Only Hindus are allowed to enter the temple
Things to do in the temple
- Take a look at the murals on the walls and tell various other stories to people around you, family members or friends.
- Worship Shiva Lingam which is covered totally in ghee because of the abhishekam which is happening over the centuries.
- Also worship Lord Ayappa, Nandikeswara, Lord Krishna and Sankara in the shrines which are constructed for them in the premises.
- Take a deep look at architecture style and construction work.
- Try local cuisines which are offered nearby Vadakkunnathan Temple.
Best time to visit the temple
Thrissur tends to get the tropical climate so the summers can be hot and humid while in winters, the weather remains pleasant. Shivratri is celebrated here with a grand celebration with over thousands of lamps getting lit around the temple.
Some local guides are available at a certain fee who would explain about the history of Vadakkunnathan Temple.
Restaurants and attractions near the temple
Some of the attractions and restaurants that one can visit nearby this temple include India Gate, Pathans Hotel, KFC, Annalakshmi Pure Vegetarian Restaurant, Thrissur Zoo, Archaeological Museum, etc.
Entrance fee: No fee
Famous for: Worship, architecture
Time to visit: 4:00 AM to 10:00 AM in the morning and 5:00 PM to 8:30 PM in the evening
Dress Code for Men: White Pancha & Dhoti
Dress Code for Women: Saree, Patiala Salwar & Kurta, Chudidar & Kurta
The religious place for worship offers a perfect blissful visit and right ambiance. All of these things make a priority for the devotees to visit.